Pages

Sweet Italian Sausage w/Peppers and Potatoes (SISPP)

I made this last night for the Fab 5 as a first course and it was quite a hit:

1 jar diced tomatoes
3-4 fresh basil leaves
5-6 Sweet Italian Sausage
5 sm Red potatoes
2 red peppers (sliced)
2 green peppers (sliced)
1 tsp diced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil

Brown the sausage in a large saucepan lightly and set aside for later. Bake potatoes (I microwaved them for 8 minutes-make sure you pierce them with a fork first or POP goes the microwave!) Pour the can of diced tomatoes in the saucepan, and over low heat add the red and green peppers, basil, and diced darlic. Let simmer for a few minutes while you chop the sausage and potatoes. Add sausage, chopped potatoes, and olive oil to the sauce pan and let simmer covered over low/medium heat for 15 minutes. Add sea salt, fresh ground pepper and organo as you like, and serve when the peppers are nice and soft. Be careful when stirring not to let the potatoes fall apart...

I served this to the girls as a first course with fresh ciabatta bread (and I forgot the dipping oil!) It was a good starter for the five of us, so it would probably make enough for dinner for two if you served it with a side of pasta or risotto. I know the leftovers will be a tasty lunch for me today.
(I should note that I stole this idea from Mamma Mia's in Plymouth, but improvised in order to reduce the fat and starch content. No one needs all that oil and a million potatoes!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

will you make some for me

Carole Knits said...

Sounds good. When we have the spin-get-together you can make this. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Made it last night - can't wait to eat it tonight! I told Dave "This is a Heather Rand special." He said "ooooh."

Anonymous said...

It was great Heather! Thanks for sharing it with the Fab 5!!